Wondering how to enable Windows 11 DirectStorage? We explore this with you in this guide.
DirectStorage is a new Windows 11 feature that allows you to access and store data faster, improving the performance of your computer.
It can improve the speed and performance of your Windows 11 system, allowing for a smoother and more efficient user experience.
What is the benefit of DirectStorage?
A lot of readers ask us what is DirectStorage? It is a Microsoft-developed API that allows developers to access cloud storage from Windows, Xbox, and HoloLens devices. It provides a unified storage access layer allowing developers to access cloud storage from multiple providers.
Its benefits may include the following:
- Improved Performance: DirectStorage will provide faster speeds and lower latency than traditional file access methods. This will enable developers to create faster and more responsive applications for their users.
- More Reliable Data Access: DirectStorage will provide more reliable data access, ensuring that data is always up-to-date and consistent. This will enable developers to create more reliable applications that are equally less prone to errors.
- Cost Savings: DirectStorage will reduce the cost of data storage and access by reducing the need for complex infrastructure. This will make it easier and more cost-effective for developers to store and access cloud data.
- Scalability: DirectStorage will, by all means, enable developers to scale up their cloud storage needs quickly and easily. This will enable developers to easily add more storage capacity or features as their applications become popular.
- Security: DirectStorage will provide better security for cloud data. This will ensure data protection against unauthorized access and remains secure and safe.
- Reliability: In its design, DirectStorage provides improved reliability by providing redundancy and fault tolerance. This, by all means, ensures that data is safe and recovery in the event of a failure is possible.
Does my PC support DirectStorage?
DirectStorage has both hardware and software requirements for it to function. Computer users using Windows 11 must use an NVMe drive (Non-Volatile Memory Express) with a PCIe (PCI Express) bus at least 3.0 or higher. The NVMe SSD should also be 1TB or greater.
In addition, DirectStorage requires a DirectX 12 Ultimate GPU to function and store the games that use the standard NVM Express controller.
Finally, your Operating System must be Windows 11 or Windows 10 version 1909 and above.
You can see these feature-specific requirements for your Windows 11 PC on Microsoft website.
Once you have confirmed that your system meets the requirements for DirectStorage, you can install the appropriate driver and enable it in your system settings.
How do I turn on DirectStorage in Windows 11?
DirectStorage is an API that only the developers can implement for users to make use of it. There is rather nothing you can do on your part to enable or turn it on.
Once the game is using it, and your device supports it, enabling it is by default. It would be best if you were concerned about whether your system configuration, as given above, matches the requirements. For emphasis’s sake, they are:
- NVMe SSD having a minimum PCIe 3.0 interface but is better than PCIe 4.0 to experience optimal performance. The NVMe size should be at least 1 TB.
- The graphics card should be compatible with the DirectX 12 Ultimate specifications. Examples are Nvidia’s RTX 2000 and RTX 3000 and AMD’s line of RDNA 2.
- Game developers also need to implement the API for Direct Storage to function.
- Only Windows 10 version 1909 Operating Systems and above will support DirectStorage.
What GPU is DirectStorage compatible with?
DirectStorage is currently compatible with the latest generations of AMD and NVIDIA GPUs, and its design will support future generations as well.
It works well with any GPU that supports Microsoft’s DirectX 12 Ultimate feature set, including AMD’s Radeon RX 6000 series, NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 20-series, and Intel’s Xe-HPG GPUs.
DirectStorage offers several benefits, including faster loading times, improved visuals, and better performance in general.
In the final analysis, DirectStorage Windows 11 users with a secure, efficient, and cost-effective way to store, manage and access their data. It offers several features and benefits that make it an ideal storage solution for organizations of all sizes.
With its advanced encryption, integration with cloud storage, and performance optimization, DirectStorage Windows 11 is the perfect choice for businesses looking to take advantage of the latest in storage technology.