Welcome to this expert solutions guideline for Steam Corrupt Disk Download Error. If you have encountered a corrupt disk download error on Steam, this guide is here to help. We will discuss the causes of a corrupt disk download error, as well as potential solutions.
In addition, we will provide troubleshooting tips that you can use to resolve the issue. So, let’s get started and find out how to fix a corrupt disk download error on Steam.
Why is my Steam download corrupt?
First of all, it is essential to note that Steam downloads can become corrupt for various reasons.
The data included in a file or storage device can become corrupted. This occurs when such data is changed from the condition in which it was stored initially. This can cause the data to perform unexpectedly or become unreachable completely.
It is important to note that in case a Blue Screen of Death or an outage of power causes an interruption. When this occurs during the steam game downloading process, it can corrupt your download files. Therefore, you would get the corrupt update files error.
We have treated other issues that may be related to a corrupted disk previously in our articles. Some of the most common causes of corrupt Steam downloads include:
- Incomplete or faulty download: This occurs if the download was interrupted or you downloaded an incomplete version of the game.
- Incompatible hardware: This happens if your computer does not have the hardware to run the game.
- Corrupt installation files: If the installation files are corrupt, then they will not be able to install correctly.
- Viruses or malware: It occurs if your computer is infected with a virus or malware.
- System glitches: If your computer has system glitches, the game could corrupt.
You may suspect that any of these may be the cause of your corrupt download. Then you should take the necessary steps in our guide to resolving the problem. Steam corruption can affect the disk during the download, update of files or a lost ark.
How to Fix the Steam Corrupt Disk Error on Windows?
1. Run the Error Checking Utility
- First, launch the Libraries entry or open any folder and click on This PC.
- Then, right-click on the drive the game is installed on and select Properties.
- Now, navigate to the Tools tab under Properties and click the Check button.
- Follow the on-screen instruction and let the process run.
- Check to see if the problem is resolved.
2. Verify file integrity
- First press the Windows key and type Steam. Then launch the desktop client.
- Next, select the Library option.
- Now, right-click on the faulty game and select the Properties option.
- Then under Properties, click on the Local Files tab.
- Now click on Verify integrity of game files option.
- Steam will promptly scan the game file for any malware.
- When verification is successful, continue with the next step.
3. Repair the Steam Library folder
- First, press the Windows key, type Steam and then open the application.
- Secondly, on the top-left corner of the opened window, click on the Steam option.
- Next, locate Settings.
- Then under Settings, click on the Downloads tab and click Steam Library Folders.
- Now, right-click on the Steam Library Folder and choose the Repair Library folder.
- Steam will then scan the folder and attempt a repair if a problem is detected.
- Try the download again and observe if the error is fixed.
4. Run Steam as Administrator
- To begin, if available, right-click on the Steam shortcut located on the desktop and select Properties from the drop-down menu.
- In the Properties window, click on the Compatibility tab.
- Now, click Run this program in compatibility mode for and select from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Run this program as an Administrator option in the Settings option.
- Click the Apply button to apply settings and then click the Ok button.
5. Delete the download folder
- Press the Windows + E hotkeys to open File Explorer.
- Now go to the following path below
- Steam saves every game with a unique number. Check the Downloading folder to see the game with the number.
- Now check if it is a problematic game.
- If found, delete the folder.
- Now, launch Steam and try to install the game again.
6. Rename the folder to fix the Steam corrupt disk error
- Find the downloading folder in steamapps by navigating to the following path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps
- Next, right-click on downloading folder and choose Rename.
- Change the name of the folder as Downloading12.
- Then, open a new folder in the Steamapps folder and call it downloading.
- Open Steam and install the faulty game again.
7. Use a repair tool
Software repair tools can be useful in fixing this problem. One such tool is Restoro. Restoro is a powerful system repair software that can be used to repair corrupted files in Steam and other issues with your computer.
When Steam is corrupted, it can be difficult to find the cause of the issue. Restoro is designed to scan your system and detect any errors or issues that might be causing the problem.
The software then automatically repairs the file. Restoro also provides a variety of features that make it easy to use. It has an intuitive interface that allows you to navigate the software and run scans accordingly quickly. It also offers detailed reports of the scan results, so you can easily see the cause of the issue.
Additionally, Restoro can be used to optimize your system and improve its performance. It can help to remove junk files and other unnecessary items from your computer, as well as defragment and clean your registry.
8. Change the download / Steam Library folder
- First, you should press the Windows key enter Steam in the text box and then click on the app to open it.
- Once done, click on Steam option in the top left corner.
- Then, go to Settings.
- Afterward, click on the Downloads tab, then select the Steam Library Folders option.
- Then, click on Add Library Folder button on the pop-up dialog box.
- You should look for a different drive on your system and click Select.
- Finally, you can close the Settings window.
- Download and install the game using a corruption disk error.
The Steam Corrupt Disk Error can be quite difficult to troubleshoot because a series of issues can cause it. However, if the steps in this guideline are followed, it is possible to identify and resolve the issue.
After attempting the various fixes, let us know which solutions worked for you in the comment section below.