If you’re an avid Valheim player and recently encountered a failed attempt to restore backup, you’re not alone. Many players are having this same issue, which can be incredibly frustrating.
Fortunately, there are some potential solutions that you can use to help restore your backup and get your Valheim experience back on track. In this article, we’ll discuss some common causes of this issue and how you can fix it.
Why do I encounter failed to restore backup in Valheim?
There are several causes for the failed attempt to restore backup in Valheim. These causes may include the following:
- Insufficient Storage Space: One of the most common reasons for encountering a failed to restore backup in Valheim is insufficient storage space on the target device.
- Corrupt Backup File: Another potential reason for a failed to restore backup in Valheim is a corrupted backup file.
- Incorrect File Path: If the backup file is not in the correct path, it may fail to restore.
- Outdated Version: If the backup file is incompatible with the game’s current version, it will fail to restore.
- Invalid Backup File: The restore process will fail if the backup file is invalid. This can happen if the backup file was created incorrectly or if the file was corrupted during the backup process.
- Incompatible Backup Software: The software used for the backup may not be compatible with the software used to restore the backup. Thus, the restore process will fail. This can happen if the backup was made using a different software version than the one used to restore it.
Now that we have identified the causes let us go ahead and explore some solutions to help us get the correct backup.
How can I restore a corrupt Valheim character?
1. Restore the corrupt Valheim Character Backup File
- Press Windows + R keys together to open the Run dialog and enter the code below, and press Enter:
- Once the Appdata window opens, navigate to the folder path below:
Where USERNAME is your PC username.
- There are two files for every character: XTER.fch and XTER.fch.old (XTER is your character’s name, where XTER.fch is the current version of your corrupt Valheim while XTER.fch.old is the backup version of the character).
- Now, copy both files from the current folder into another folder.
- Then, delete the .fch file, the current corrupt version, and not the .fch.old file, which is the backup version.
- Finally, change the name of the XTER.fch.old to XTER.fch.
2. Create new character from the scratch using simple tricks
- Firstly, you will create a new character with any name and appearance you desire. You will choose a new name, except you delete the corrupt original character.
- Ensure you are either set up in a single-player mode or on a server with admin permissions and can use cheats.
- Then, press F5 to launch the console of the game and type in the following cheats:
- imacheater – Activate cheats.
- debugmode – Activate debug mode.
- god – Makes the character invulnerable.
- ghost – Makes you invincible to enemies that they ignore you.
- tod 0.5 – Sets your time to mid-day.
- Afterward, increase your skills to an appropriate level using the command below:
raiseskill SKILL AMOUNT
SKILL represents the particular skill in question, while AMOUNT is a number. For instance,
raiseskill run 10will raise the Run skill by 10 points.
- It is important to note that the name of the skill is case-sensitive i.e. run is not Run and will not work if used.
- Then, spawn the missing items using the following code:
spawn ITEMNAME NUMBER
- Once steps 4 and 6 are complete, press B to enable no-cost building. Please note that no-cost building activates only when Debug Mode is on.
- Finally, head to your inventory and upgrade your equipment with the interface until they have reached the appropriate level.
In conclusion, it is possible to fix the Failed to Restore Backup in Valheim issue by following the steps outlined in this article. The issue should be resolved by verifying the integrity of the game files, deleting the game folders, reinstalling the game, and restoring the backup.
Additionally, it is important to ensure that the save file location is accurate and that the game files are not corrupted before restoring the backup.