Windows 10 is an operating system that is constantly evolving, and its updates can sometimes cause issues. To help users resolve these problems, Microsoft has introduced the Windows update reset script.
This tool can be used to reset the Windows update components and fix common update-related problems.
In this article, we’ll discuss three methods for using the Windows update reset script in Windows 10, making it easier for users to troubleshoot and resolve any updates-related issues.
Whether an IT professional or a casual user, this guide will give you the information you need to use the update reset script effectively.
What does the Windows Update Reset script do?
The Windows Update reset script is a tool provided by Microsoft to help users resolve issues related to updates on Windows. Some of its primary functions are listed below.
- Reset Windows update component – It helps to clear Windows update cache, stop Windows update service, and delete temporary updated files.
- It fixes common update-related problems – The Windows update reset script resolves problems such as slow download speed, error codes, and failed installations.
- Improves stability of Windows update process – Resetting Windows components help to improve the stability and reliability of Windows.
- Resets network connection – It helps to improve and strengthen network connection.
- Deletes older operating system update folder – It also removes old update folders from your PC.
Having gone through what a Windows reset script is, and what it does. Let us look at how we can effectively use this tool.
How do I use the Windows Update Reset Script?
1. Download and run the script
- Click on the link to download.
- Once the script is downloaded, right-click on the zip file and select Extract All.
- After opening the file, right-click the WUReset file, and choose Run as Administrator.
- Give some minutes for the script to be successfully executed.
2. Manually create the script
- To manually reset the Windows update, open notepad on your PC by typing notepad in the search box and clicking Open.
- Copy the text below and paste it into Notepad.
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
attrib -h -r -s %windir%system32catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%system32catroot2*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%system32catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo Task completed successfully...
- Now click the File option, select Save as, and finally, save the file as WUReset.bat.
- If you want to run the script, right-click on it and select Run as Administrator.
- Using this process, you will get an easy-to-use Windows update reset batch script.
3. Use a GitHub script
- To download the Windows update reset tool, go to this GitHub page.
- Click the Code button to display a drop-down menu and select Download Zip.
- After the download is completed, right-click on the zip file and choose Extract all.
- Lastly, open the file, right-click on the ResetWUEng file, and choose Run as administrator.
In conclusion, the Windows Update Reset tool can be valuable software for resolving issues on your system. it can save time and frustration compared to manually troubleshooting the problem.
Keep in mind that it should only be used after all other option has been exhausted. It’s essential to follow the instructions carefully and back up important data before proceeding with the reset, as it can have unintended consequences on your system.
Don’t forget to try different solutions until you find the one that works for you. Feel free to tell us which solutions worked best for your PC in the comment section below.