The likelihood of encountering the dreaded “you’ll need a new app to open this” error message as an experienced technology user is high. It can be a frightening experience, but with the right app, you can quickly fix this issue and restore functionality to your device.
There are several solutions available to restore full functionality to your PC if you are experiencing this error on your device, which is frequently a result of browser compatibility problems.
This article will explain what causes the “you’ll need a new app to open this” error and offer helpful tips about how you can fix it.
Why does the You’ll need a new app to open this error appear?
There are various reasons why you could be having this error displayed on your PC. Some of them are:
- Corrupt system files – The presence of corrupt files in your PC can affect the general functioning of your system, which will lead to this error.
- Misconfigured settings – This error can appear when specific settings are not configured correctly.
- Outdated operating system – When your PC runs on outdated Windows, it may not have the required update to run specific functions leading to this error.
- Missing drivers – This error is usually displayed if specific drivers for a particular program are missing.
- Virus or malware – A system infected with a virus will regularly face this problem.
- Incompatible applications – This error can also occur when you try to use an incompatible application to open a program.
Having highlighted the common causes for this error, let’s dive deep into the solutions and see how to resolve this problem.
How can I fix the You’ll need a new app error on Windows?
Before following these steps, it is always recommended to restart your PC as this helps to remove minor glitches and improve overall system performance.
If a simple reboot was not enough, follow the steps below.
1. Disable third-party anti-virus programs on your PC
- At the bottom right corner of your screen, click the hidden access arrow and right-click on avast.
- Click on Avast shields control to display more options and select Disable for 10 minutes.
- Finally, restart your system and check if the problem has been resolved.
2. Update Windows
- On your keyboard, press Windows + I keys and then select Update & Security.
- Select Windows Update on the left side of your screen and choose Check for updates on the right side.
- Select any available update and check if this step has resolved the problem.
3. Fix corrupt system files on your PC
- In the search box at the left corner of your screen, type command prompt and select Run as Administrator.
- Input this command and click Enter.
DISM.EXE /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
- After the command finish running, enter this next command and hit Enter.
- Allow some minutes for this command to locate and fix corrupt files.
- Finally, reboot your PC after the corrupt files have been fixed.
4. Restore store cache
- Press the Windows + R keys, input cmd and click OK.
- In the command prompt, write this command and press Enter.
- Reboot your PC and check if you still see this error.
5. Reset PC Windows to factory setting
- Go into your settings by clicking the Windows + I keys and then select Update & Security.
- Click Recovery on the left side of your screen and select Get started on the right side.
- Choose the Keep my files option and follow the instructions on your screen to reset your PC.
- After resetting your PC, check to see if the problem has been resolved.
Ensure that you have tried every other step listed in this article before resetting your PC. Use this only as a last resort if other options did not fix the problem.
We also recommend taking your PC to a professional if the problem persists, there could be other reasons why your PC is getting this error.
I hope this article was helpful in resolving the “you’ll need a new app to open this” error. Share with us which solution was the most helpful to you in the comment section below.